Saturday 21 March 2009

I HEART GRACE JONES

“I’VE ALWAYS BEEN A REBEL. I NEVER DO THINGS THE WAY THEY’RE SUPPOSED TO BE DONE. EITHER I GO IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OR I CREATE A NEW DIRECTION FOR MYSELF, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE RULES ARE OR WHAT SOCIETY SAYS.” (source The World of Grace Jones

For as long as I can remember I have always loved and been inspired by Miss Grace Jones. I was an eighties child and grew up listening to my mums Grace Jones albums.
This Christmas I brought me and mum tickets to see her Hurricane tour at the Manchester Apollo. The show started with a band called TRYBEZ... their music is a mixture of hip hop, soul and latin a nice mix but they looked awful... stylist needed I think. When they finished Paulo the lead singer introduced "The Hurricane Miss Grace Jones" as his mum... it was a really lovely moment. Then the the first beats of Nightclubbing started and she appeared on a high platform.
The production was minimal but amazing...she had slight costumes change for every song with Philip Tracey on hand with head dresses and amazing creations. Any way I have been listening to her Private Life album a lot recently and thought I'd share the love....so enjoy.







No comments: